Wednesday 27 November 2013

A week in the life of...

I am asked quite a lot now about what I am doing and how I fill my weeks after having spent nearly 11 years in an all encompassing, more than full time job. I guess I now have what many people would call a portfolio or plural career with a number of non executive and part time jobs. I deliberately wanted to keep quite busy but not silly busy and I think I am sort of achieving that, although my wife says I am away as often as ever! This week is in many ways typical as it involves trips to Glasgow and London but a quiet Monday morning and Wednesday afternoon. In between I will have managed an involvement with 9 different organisations.

1. I attended an Audit Committee update wearing my John Wood Group hat.
2. I spoke at an energy policy debate at Edinburgh University
3. I visited the first turbine to be produced by a tidal energy company I am involved with.
4. We held a management meeting of the software company where I have an investment.
5.  In my role as President of the Energy institute I chaired a heat summit.
6. I chaired a board phone call for Infinis Energy.
7. Then its a Maggies cancer charity finance committee to attend.
8. As chairman of Scotland's 2020 group I will be speaking at a dinner for Civil Engineers in Glasgow. 
9. I have an induction day at Aggreko.

On top of that I have had a few cups of coffee with contacts and friends and responded to the usual welter of emails and to started to think about my visit to a 10th organisation on Monday, which is another of the energy related SMEs I am involved with. Never a dull moment!


No comments:

Post a Comment