Thursday 4 July 2013

Freedom and four elements

During my first week of freedom I have enjoyed a slightly slower pace but have also had a few things to do on the next stage of my life. I have some roles that are continuing. I am now the Chairman of the  2020 group in Scotland, President of the Energy Institute, Vice Chairman of Maggies ( the cancer charity ) and senior independent director of Wood Group. When you write it like that, it sounds very grandiose and makes me out to be someone important but I'm still surprised that a rebel and unconventional person like me has ended up with these sort of roles. I have to give myself a good pinch every so often.

However,the best bit about this week has been going to Holyrood palace to see my son get his Gold Duke of Edinburgh award. It's a great scheme, combining four elements; service, a skill, volunteering and an expedition, and it was really encouraging to see over 300 young people get their gold award.

No comments:

Post a Comment