Wednesday 6 May 2015

A nightmare on Whitehall place

Another day, another speech on energy policy. This time I used as my theme the nightmare of me being the next Secretary of Energy and Climate Change.



I came up with the ten things I would kick off on my first morning behind the desk on Whitehall Place.

1. A long hard look at the real electricity security of supply situation for this coming winter involving a hard look at the data station by station.

2. A review of the CFD auction regime. This would involve both taking the battle on the levy control framework straight to the Treasury and also looking at the detailed auction rules to make sure that the second round of auctions produced useful results. 

3. A proper analysis of the two possible solutions to the Gordian knot of Energy supply, either proper joined up regulation or unhindered and vibrant competition with a clear view that a decision on which route would be taken quickly and cleanly.

4. An objective look at what has worked on energy efficiency and what hasn't, both in the UK and elsewhere.

5. Launch a campaign to increase acceptance of onshore wind within government and the media whilst driving costs down.

6. Announce a decision to introduce a proper independent, not for loss, system operator to take on many of the functions currently being given to a plethora of bodies.

7. Intiate renegotiations on the Hinckley C nuclear CFD contract as I wouldn't sign the current version at the current price.

The final three where the same as my three big ideas from a previous speech ( see. http://iansblog42.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/three-big-ideas-for-big-challenge.html ) on unburnable carbon, heat policy and Marchants law which are all important but need careful thought.

I concluded that my appointment would be a real nightmare, certainly for the civil servants in DECC, but that maybe this nightmare wasn't as bad as what could happen! Some of the audience were nice enough to say they would vote for me which was very kind but reinforced my desire to never be a politician.


No comments:

Post a Comment